In the market nowadays, there are numerous brands of dog food that contain different formulas and supplements. Therefore, finding the best hypoallergenic dog food can prove to be quite a challenge.
Same as humans, dogs can experience allergic reactions when eating food that triggers them. These reactions often include itchy skin, sneezing, and stomach ache. The most common reasons dogs get allergic reactions are genetic, and they result in the inability to digest certain proteins.
To provide your dogs with a steady diet that will suit their nutritional needs and keep them healthy and well, you should purchase hypoallergenic food. There are countless choices of excellent quality, so we have put together a list of the best products in the United Kingdom that your money can buy.
List of Best Hypoallergenic Dog Food in UK
1. Harringtons Complete Dry Dog Food
Harrington’s store offers a brand new 18 kg pack which brings excellent value for your money’s worth. It can last roughly one month, which is an exceptional investment. You can choose from five different flavors – salmon and potato, lamb and rice, turkey and vegetables, beef with rice, and chicken with rice.
The product does not contain artificial colors and flavours, no wheat, dairy, or soy which is excellent for dogs that have allergy and stomach issues. It supports better digestion and helps your pet absorb every important vitamin and mineral.
The food contains a balanced ratio of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids that are highly beneficial for your pet’s shiny coat and healthy skin. It is rich in yucca, which helps you get rid of nasty odours from flatulence.
The formula contains citrus extracts and other additional vitamins that are highly beneficial for immune system boost and your dog’s general well-being.
2. Autarky Hypoallergenic Delicious Dry Dog Food with Added Herbs
Autarky offers you the choice of four different flavours you can opt for – chicken, chicken & rice, salmon and rice, and lite salmon & rice. All of these products are available in two sizes of 6 and 12 kilograms. There are also packs that are suitable for different dog ages – puppies, adult dogs, and mature dogs.
Autarky food is hypoallergenic and does not contain artificial colours or preservatives. It is rich in vitamin B, which drastically improves a dog’s scenting ability. The product contains high levels of crucial fatty acids that are beneficial for your pet’s healthy skin.
This dog food is free of gluten, wheat, and soya. Since it contains taurine, it provides benefits for your pet’s heart, and a high concentration of carnitine helps in fat utilisation for your four-legged friend’s stamina.
3. Burns Pet Nutrition Hypoallergenic Complete Dry Dog Food
This hypoallergenic dog food comes from the Burns store, and it is available in 9 different flavours – duck and rice, chicken, chicken and rice, duck, variety, chicken and oats, pork, seafood, and lamb. All of these foods can be purchased in five different sizes – 2 kg, 2 kg (Pack of 1), 6 kg, 12 kg, and 12 kg (Pack of 1).
This food is suitable for dogs of different ages and nutritive needs. All products are made using all-natural ingredients and are designed to support your dog’s sensitive skin and quality digestion without any stomach ache.
It is excellent for dogs that have sensitive tummies and allergic reactions to certain proteins. The product is also excellent for your pet’s steady diet and a great solution if you need him to keep the weight down.
4. Chudleys Salmon Hypoallergenic Dog Food with Rice and Vegetables
Chudley’s hypoallergenic food offers your pet a variety of different flavours you can opt for and provide your four-legged friend with healthy nutrition. The product is free from gluten and soya, making it an excellent solution for dogs with allergic reactions and digestive issues.
This food is rich in glucosamine and green-lipped mussel, which empowers the musculoskeletal system and improves your pet’s mobility and agility. One of the product’s main ingredients is salmon oil that is rich in omega 3 fatty acids that are very important for dogs’ learning abilities.
The product is suitable for both working and sporting adult dogs, regardless of their workloads and energy requirements. You can order the product in a 15 kg pack size, which is quite generous since most manufacturers offer packs as big as 12 kg.
5. Paul O’Grady’s Hypoallergenic Dog Food
Coming from Paul O’Grady’s store, this hypoallergenic food for dogs is available in 5 different pack sizes – 2 kg, 2 kg (Pack of 1), 12.5 kg, 12.5 kg (Pack of 1), and 15 kg (Pack of 1). There are also 5 different flavours you can choose from – chicken, lamb, salmon, salmon and rice, and turkey and rice.
This product is made without any ingredients that are known to cause an allergic reaction to dogs, such as wheat, maize, beef, soy, eggs, or dairy. It is suitable for dogs who often experience digestive problems, restless tummy, skin rashes, and infections.
Paul O’Grady’s hypoallergenic dog food contains prebiotics that enables friendly bacteria in your pet’s gut and aids his digestive system. The product is also fortified with calcium and vitamin D, which supports your dog’s overall bone health and well-being.
6. Dr. John Hypoallergenic Dry Dog Food Lamb with Rice
Dr. John’s dog food is a nutritionally balanced product that suits adult working dogs who often experience sensitive tummy problems. The food is hypoallergenic, and it is made without wheat, gluten, soy, or dairy.
The product contains 21% protein and 10% fat with additional ingredients to improve your pet’s heart health. It has no artificial colors, flavours, or sugars since manufacturers keep in mind that the general well-being of the dog is a priority.
Feeding strictly depends on the size of the dogs, so you should feed small dogs with up to 200 g, medium dogs between 200 and 370 g, large dogs between 370 and 680 g, and giant dogs with over 680 g daily.
7. Laughing Dog Hypoallergenic Dog Food
This dog food is suitable for all breed sizes and is excellent for your pet’s skin and coat maintenance as much as it is for weight control and prevention of food allergies. The food comes in dry form and does not contain wheat, gluten, soy, dairy, egg, sugar, or potato.
Laughing Dog food is suitable for dogs of all ages, and it helps in immunity-boosting since it contains vitamins A and E. The five main ingredients of this product are chicken, barley, alfalfa, rice, and linseed, all-natural and nourishing.
The product does not contain any added artificial flavours, colours, or preservatives. It is rich in omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids that support healthy skin and coat. This dog food formula benefits your four-legged friends in various ways and helps their healthy digestion, immunity, joints, bones, and teeth.
8. Burgess Sensitive Dry Dog Food
Burgess Sensitive store offers you dog food for puppies, adult dogs, and seniors. You can choose one of three different flavours – salmon, lamb, or turkey. The product is available in two different-sized packages of 2 kg and 12.5 kg.
It is hypoallergenic food that is free of ingredients that can cause different sensitivities and allergies for dogs. The product is designed to support your pet’s sensitive stomach and helps them grow shiny, glossy coats.
The product is rich in prebiotics that support good bacteria in your dog’s tummy and improves its digestive system. It is rich in vitamins and minerals that are essential for your four-legged friend’s strong bones growth, overall health, and well-being.
9. Wellness CORE Ocean Dog Food Dry Grain Free
This all-natural hypoallergenic food is available in 3 different-sized packs – 1.8 kg (Pack of 1), 10 kg (Pack of 1), and 10+2 kg. It is suitable for all breed sizes, and it specifically helps in your pet’s skin and coat improvement.
The product contains no wheat, gluten, eggs, artificial colors and flavours, or preservatives. Final kibble contains between 32 and 37% protein which is essential for your dog’s health and well-being. It contains no artificial additives, and it is excellent for sensitive digestion.
Since it contains omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, it is beneficial for your pet’s shiny coat and healthy skin. These acids also improve learning abilities and contribute to overall health.
Wellness dog food uses all-natural ingredients such as grain-free carbohydrates from potatoes, fruits, and vegetables. These ingredients contain crude fibres that are excellent for normal digestion. The food is free from artificial colors, flavours, or preservatives, making it an exceptional choice for allergic and sensitive dogs.
10. Lily’s Kitchen Natural Grain Free Complete Adult Dry Dog Food
Lily’s Kitchen’s dog food offers your dog a nutritionally complete meal while also contributing to its healthy skin and tummy. You can purchase it in four different pack sizes – 2.5 kg, 4 x 1 kg, 7kg, and 12 kg.
The product is created using 31 percent duck and 8 percent duck. It is full of vitamins and minerals that complement the diet for dogs that have sensitive stomachs and allergy issues. The food is free of grain, wheat, and artificial colors, which supports healthy and normal digestion.
It does not contain any added sugars or fillers and provides your four-legged friend with a balanced diet full of natural ingredients. Lily’s kitchen also offers a variety of different tastes for adult dogs and puppies.
You can pick both dry and wet recipes since both are nutritionally complete, and dogs love them equally. Serve it dry, wet, or mix both; it does not matter dogs enjoy all of these options since Lily’s Kitchen food is above else tasty and full of healthy nutrients.
Picking the appropriate food for allergic and sensitive dogs is quite the process. It often comes down to trial and error since every dog is different, and allergy triggers vary. The most common culprits for these triggers are wheat, dairy, and types of meat that do not agree with your dog’s stomach.
As a dog owner, you want to do whatever it takes to provide your four-legged friend with adequate nutrition. So in order to help you out, we have put together a list of guidelines you should follow to get the best possible hypoallergenic food for your pet.
Identifying which nutrients bother your pet and cause allergies is the first and most important step towards healing. You will not be able to discover what is wrong instantly, so the safest way is to switch your dog’s foods until you have detected the problem.
Visit your dog’s veterinarian to aid you in this process because nothing can beat a professional’s assistance. The response on the food trial can take up some of your time but should show results between 3 and 6 weeks.
When you identify the problem and figure out the allergens, it is safe to start picking food that will suit your dog. The safest way to approach this is to pick the food that is made of natural resources and suits your pet’s digestive system.
Avoid gluten and artificial colors and flavours since these ingredients can bother sensitive dogs. Quality hypoallergenic food will provide your dog with a balanced diet of nutrients, minerals, and vitamins, which will benefit its overall health.
Sensitive dogs must eat tasty food too. Luckily there are various hypoallergenic foods with different tastes from which you can pick. Typically, most of the choices are basted with natural meat juices.
It is important to avoid foods that contain artificial flavours and colors since they can bother your dog’s digestive system. Luckily, there are various choices, so you will surely find the flavour that your pet will love.
Pick the Food That Offers Different Benefits for Your Dog
Hypoallergenic dog food does not only tend to your pet’s sensitive stomach. Most foods offer a variety of benefits that will support your dog’s immune system, kidneys, joints, and many more.
For example, quality hypoallergenic foods contain omega 3 or omega 6 fatty acids that can be highly beneficial for your dog’s coat and skin. Look for the products that offer multiple benefits for your pet to get the best value for your money.
Frequently Asked Questions
What dog food is considered hypoallergenic?
Hypoallergenic means below allergenic. In addition, it means that the food structure will possess allergens, but the amount will be so small and insignificant that your dog’s immune and digestive system will not detect it.
Which ingredients should I avoid in my dog’s diet?
The most common ingredients that cause dog allergies are gluten, eggs, dairy, soy, or wheat. Look for products that are free of these ingredients and that do not contain artificial colours and flavours.
What should I use to feed an allergic dog?
The best food for allergic dogs is novel proteins such as duck, salmon, potato, or other vegetables. These contain the necessary amount of nutrients and do not bother sensitive and allergic dogs.
How long will it take for hypoallergenic food for dogs to take effect?
If you have eliminated any potential problems and identified allergens, you should expect the results between 6 and 8 weeks. However, this process might last as long as 12 weeks, depending on the allergy severity.
High-quality hypoallergenic dog food can make a huge difference if you have a pet with allergy issues. Ensure that you have identified the allergen before spending any money, and consult a veterinarian.
Bear in mind that hypoallergenic foods have similar nutritive values, and in some cases, it is not wise to give more money for a more expensive brand.
We hope our article will help you make the right choice. Since identifying proper hypoallergenic food is a process, make sure to read reviews carefully and seek a second or even third opinion to ensure you are getting the best possible value for your money.
- Pet food for Dogs
- Dry food
- Recommended for Dogs above 12 months
- Hypoallergenic - Made without the usual ingredients that are known to cause many intolerant reactions, making this suitable for all dogs, especially...
- Digestive Health - Carefully formulated with Salmon, a simple, highly digestible protein, for your dog’s overall health and wellbeing, this unique...
- Skin and Coat Health - To help your dog look its recipe includes fish oils rich in Omega 3 fatty acids to help promote healthy skin and coat
- Low Odour - Yucca Extract and beet pulp have been added to help with stool formation and reduce faecal odours
- Strong Bones - All dogs love to run, jump and play; to help support bone health this recipe has been fortified with calcium and vitamin D
- CLINIVET Adult Senior is a natural, gluten free, hypoallergenic dog food for all older dogs, generally from five to seven years and upwards.
- Promotes good gut health during the senior stage of a dogs life, enriched with pre-biotics and essential vitamins.
- Natural- free from gluten, beef, lamb and soya products, boosts energy and supports growth.
- A balanced ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 essential oils are added to Adult Senior dog food to help protect the skin, and maintain a glossy coat.
- CLINIVET has been scientifically formulated by a team of expert vets and nutritionists to contain precise levels of energy and nutrients.
- 1. THE NATURAL CHOICE - At Harringtons, we believe every dog deserves natural food that's balanced, wholesome and tasty. From puppies to seniors to...
- 2. GRAIN FREE - Our grain free dog food is hypoallergenic & balanced, to meet the needs of dogs with sensitive stomachs, with no artificial colours or...
- 3. FRESHLY PREPARED MEAT - Our complete grain free food contains freshly prepared Chicken, a great source of protein for energy, growth and repair.
- 4. CARING FOR THE ENVIRONMENT - As part of our efforts to keep packaging to a minimum and help send less packaging waste to landfill, this pack is...
- 5. MADE IN THE UK – Harringtons dog food is proudly made by ourselves right here in the UK and has been family run since 1923.
- Hypoallergenic recipe which is free from wheat gluten and soya making this food ideal for working dogs that require immune support; contains dietary...
- 22 percent protein, 12 percent fat, ideal maintenance diet for dogs on a low workload or during a rest period for more active dogs
- Added glucosamine and green lipped mussel to help provide nutritional support for joints
- Includes salmon oil an ideal source of omega 3 fatty acids for the support of learning and mobility
- A combination of carnitine, key vitamins and calories from fat help the dog to get the most from his diet for working performance
- We’ve changed our look, but we still have the same trusted recipe for your sensitive dogs
- Burgess Sensitive is a dry dog food made without many of the typical ingredients that can cause sensitivities for dogs
- Burgess Sensitive Dog Food Salmon is formulated to support a sensitive tummy
- Builds strong bones and joints
- Helps to grow a glossy, shiny coat
- Developed by Veterinary Surgeon John Burns
- Made with natural ingredients
- Made without wheat
- Contains duck – novel protein source
- The original Burns recipe from 1993
- Developed by Veterinary Surgeon, John Burns
- Award-winning recipe
- Natural and complete diet
- - Hypoallergenic elimination diet for food trials - Long-term management of food allergy - Dermatitis and/or gastroenteritis associated with food...
- Single hydrolysed protein with low molecular weight to help avoid allergic responses.
- Purified carbohydrates sources to help avoid allergic responses
- With omega-3 fatty acids to help maximise the natural anti-inflammatory processes.
- Provides a lipid energy source which is much easier1 to digest and absorb Contains MCFAs (medium-chain fatty acids)